HR Tip of the Week: Coronavirus Prevention & Planning – Employers should follow interim guidance of the CDC to prevent workplace exposures to acute respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19. To prevent stigma and discrimination, do not make determinations of risk based on race or country of origin, and be sure to maintain confidentiality of those with confirmed COVID-19.
- Actively encourage sick employees to stay home
- Separate and/or send home sick employees
- Educate employees on respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene
- Ask employees to use only their own work stations and to clean them regularly
- Offer remote work when feasible
- Perform routine environmental cleaning
- Consider cancelling largely attended conferences or events
- Plan for how your business will operate if there is increasing absenteeism due to illness
- Employees who are well but who have a sick family member at home with COVID-19 should notify their supervisor and refer to CDC guidance
- If an employee is confirmed to have COVID-19, inform fellow employees of their possible exposure but maintain confidentiality as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Employees exposed to a co-worker with confirmed COVID-19 should refer to CDC for guidance.
Visit the CDC website for complete details and guidance on how to develop an Infectious Disease Outbreak Response Plan specific to employers.