HR Tip of the Week: Documentation Required of Employees Taking FFCRA Leave
Employees must provide the following prior to taking paid sick leave under EPSLA or expanded family and medical leave under EFMLEA:
(1) Employee’s name; (2) Dates(s) for which leave is requested; (3) Qualifying reason for the leave; (4) Oral or written statement that the employee is unable to work because of the qualified reason for leave.
- Employees subject to a quarantine or isolation order must provide the name of the government entity that issued the quarantine or isolation order.
- Employees advised by a healthcare provider to self-quarantine must provide the name of the healthcare provider.
- Employees caring for an individual must provide either (1) the name of the government entity that issued the quarantine or isolation order to which the individual being cared for is subject; or (2) the name of the health care provider who advised the individual being cared for to self-quarantine due to COVID-19-related concerns.
- Employees caring for a son or daughter must provide: (1) the name of the child being cared for; (2) the name of the school, place of care or child care provider that has closed or become unavailable; and (3) a representation that no other suitable person will be caring for the child during the employee’s leave period. An employee seeking leave for this reason may need to explain why a teenaged child is in need of care.
For more information on qualifying reasons for leave, visit the Department of Labor website or contact HR Advantage for guidance and/or a form to assist with documentation of employees taking FFCRA leave:
877-894-0202 ext 5
Source: Law and the Workplace