HR Tip of the Week: Recruitment During a Pandemic!
COVID-19 has shown us obstacles and challenges that employers have never faced in the past! We’ve created some helpful tips to ensure that candidates are provided the safest and smartest opportunities to become a part of your workplace and some advice to pass along to potential candidates before the interview even begins!
Preparing the Candidate for a Zoom interview:
- Spell out what your interview will look like, paint a picture, set the narrative.
- Address how things are during COVID; how you’ve resolved them
- Keep it structured to cover all necessary questions and topics
What HR Pros are seeing:
- Zoom interviews and meetings – comfort level is increasing – meetings looking more casual
- Attendees may have kids, dogs or others at home; give them grace
- Prepare interviewers setting – work or at home
Consider providing these enhancements to give your candidate a better sense of your company and the job:
- Employee testimonial videos
- Day in the life videos
- Describe the environment and opportunities for engagement
What are HR pros seeing in recruitment during this time?
- Comfort level is increasing – meetings looking more casual.
- Attendees may have kids, dogs or others at home; give them grace.
- Prepare interviewers setting – work or at home.
- Keep it structured to cover all necessary questions and topics.
Tech Tips for both Candidates and Employers:
- Troubleshoot in advance.
- Check internet connection – if you’re in an apartment or could have issues with service due to mass usage, plan in advance to go somewhere.
- Start early to call in help if needed.
- Think about interview setting; Shoot from torso up.
Set Expectations for Onsite Interviews
- Make sure candidate is at ease – give explicit instructions for onsite visit and communicate what the company is doing and its approach to COVID.
- Will temp checks be conducted? Mask and social distancing expectations?
The world around us from just one year ago is not the same world we’re living in today and it’s ever imperative that as employers we’re providing resources and information to potential employees. By going over these helpful tips prior to an interview you’re ensuring that both you and the person interviewing for that position have the best opportunity for success and in this global crisis, I think as long as we do our part, that’s all we can ask for!